This is another “Sneak peek” preview of the re-writing progress as part of obligate major rebranding + entire manuscript overhaul. Here, a sub chapter on the “Learning Curve” or the phases of progressing nutritional principle from one to the next, is shared here in partial detail.
The Foundational Routine(s) ~ Self-Survey
Before anything This Book suggests become possible, there bound to be a series of prerequisites. These pre-requisites are Routines concerning not only within realm of foods we consume. But also actionable(s) which we must, sooner or later undertake:
- Survey. “surveillance” or to “survey” ~ is to examine our surround(s) namely our Liabilities Ecosystems – sociology and environments. Examine their relevance(s) or for their mutuality(s) if any, back towards one’s own pursuits and appeals.
- Adopt, Adapt or Disconnect. Upon surveying the above ~ decide at one’s own volition, decision, calculation and/or intuition whether to:
- Adapt/Adopt ~ Reintegrate partially, or holistically.
- Disconnect ~ Respectfully disassociate, so long as one is confident by way of contingents.
This Book never intends to be binary in its judgment over what it “Thinks” readers should do. However above all else – all decisive action(s) must be weighed against conscientiousness and contingencies. If there is only one “faith” This Author (AW) upholds would be for readers to base all decisions with care that:
- His/her liabilities ecosystem (sociology and surrounds) ably cooperates and thereby honours such a decision.
- Respectful to the theme of Economics. This ensures one can still ably compensate, that one feels accomplishing from doing so, yet not debilitating to a point where or when adaptation/s no longer felt sustainable or plausible.
- Following from above, prioritise towards structural contingencies and stability, before all else. Much of the logistics behind This Book is multi-faceted be it however simply tagged as “Scientific”. But most readers would be quick ignore their own circumstances and dive straight first into objective parts of This Book without firstly assessing their own living arrangements, environments, relations, and obligation prospects.
It is worth repeating that this beginning “journey” and/or suggestive “plans” is aimed to be as general as possible at catering a large number of audience. However This Author (AW) remains aware there is a sub-group of readers who genuinely are at deep hardships bordering towards depravity, homelessness, poverty and/or severe malnutrition, combined. Whilst This Book never intend to exclude any segments of demographic, This Author (AW) remains obligated to nonetheless share the following contacts for consolation, wherever and whenever crisis events escalate.
- Homelessness support: Entry Point (Perth, Western Australia) ~ www.shelterwa.gov.au. Phone (08) 6496 0001 or 1800 124 684.
- Homelessness support: Anglicare ~ Crisis Care (Perth, Western Australia) ~ Phone (1800 199 008).
- (General / inclusive services portal): Askizzy.org.au ~ Australia / Nationwide.
On top of the general disclaimers in the beginning overleaf of This Book, we may begin.
#1 . Tracking calorie consumption (MyFitnessPal®)
In order for us to remain conscious of our consumption, we need an analysis, or information compelling us a feedback mechanism to both relate and reflect. Readers may or may not heard of the self-help realm “The Quantified Self” ; which refers to the comprehensive reliance on wearables, and biometrics eg. continuous glucose monitoring, high-end / sports/medical grade watches, monitors and other smart device(s), to overlay these feedbacks. However, these are likely unaffordable for many individuals and thus This Author (AW) is unable to comment nor confidently opinionate on such luxury(s).
Hence, as simple as a calorie tracker online (free) membership, on top of discretionary spending on glucometers, with ketone testing if given the option – should suffice for most readers.
Here on our first routine focuses on the calorie tracking component. Macrocalculators dominating the health and wellness markets today refer to Chronometer / Fatsecret® / Fitday® / and Myfitness Pal (MFP).
This Author (AW) recommends MyFitnessPal (MFP). Despite not without its own stability errors from time to time, which other calculators are also not immune ~ it nonetheless purveys the widest databases of food/s; both commercial and wholefood. However in the opinion of This Author (AW) ~ the benefits behind “Premium” subscription plans do not seem to justify its subscription expense.
The following bulletpoints generally apply towards MFP through its free membership, but may also be accessed by other calculators at readers own timely exploration.
- FOR STARTERS / BEGINNERS. To “begin” all nutritional tracking – This Author encourages that BEFORE partaking any changes in macronutrient or nutritional regiments- Readers are well advised to remain / continue existing consumption of resources at current habitual patterns and circumstances AS IS. Until daily nutritional tracking is constantly practised for at least a full calendar month- Readers then are free to explore and instigate appropriate caloric footprints to their metabolic and physiological needs.
- SET NUTRITIONAL MACROS. These are macro compositional rules one may follows(Low Fat, High Carbohydrate, Low Carbohydrate, etc) this is done by going under “GOALS” beneath “MY HOME” and here Readers can edit Readers daily nutrition goals overall macros.
- Track down each and every grammage of foods. This encourages consumption of resources only in their most untreated / holistic states. As opposed using them for “recipes”; which likely manifest difficulties overtime as hidden ingredients remain likely unaccounted for.
- Create/Save regular lists as meals and recipes. As Readers build up a series of items for each Meal Header under MFP; these tend to be cumbersome to manage if these are indeed readers regular unchanged meals. Hence – create a series of these “Meals” that readers expect to consume regularly.
Track and plan out these meals BEFORE consumption. That is, during first few weeks to a few month(s) depending on readers own patience for adjustments – try to plan out in advance of all meal events – before actual consumption. This incentivises proactivity towards a calculated future, rather than leaving one to reflect them all, as after-thoughts.
“Calorie Counting” is often criticized in today’s dieting culture for its dogmatic routine. Irrespective of “dieting”, “contest-prepping”, “healthy eating” or “frugality”, we are all bound to exercise and introspect by using the very same facilities, tools and strategies to contend with whatever hardships ahead of us. What matters is owning such an experience, for one’s own learning compass.
Overtime, readers will and should become more acquainted consciously over what they have consumed so they will gain intuitions on varying foods’ projection and their impact on satiety, implications, repercussions and so on. And in doing so, one will accept this not as dogma. But rather a routine dialogue, little by little towards a holistic (Scientific+Philosophic) change.
#3. Calculate your TDEE / Total Daily Energy Expenditure
There are dozens of freely available calculators around the Web that readers may readily use. This Book whilst not recommending any one (1) or method to be more superior; instead shares its own manual approach as accordingly by what This Author’s (AW) has been taught throughout his certificate academia/s.
In simple terms TDEE or Total Daily Energy Expenditure is the (hypothesized / formulaic) sum of all caloric needs to sustain individuals’ weight. TDEE comprises of:
BMR (times) PAL (times) TEF = TDEE.
- BMR / RMR = the basal metabolic rate / resting metabolic rate refers to the everyday-non-negotiable “rate” of energy the body consumes to sustain all biochemical processes at a resting state, including deep sleep. This includes breathing, blood flow, nerve conduction/function and non-exercise induced ~ muscle contractions.
- Physical Activity Level (“PAL”)~ these are multipliers (+1.xx) to assist distinguishing individual’s activity level.
- Thermic Effect of Food . Thermic Effect of Food refers to the thermogenic response from digesting the macronutrients. This is presented as a further % multiplier (+0 to 30%). It is noteworthy to highlight that the % is widely thought to be macronutrient dependent. Fats 0-3%. Proteins 20-30%. Carbohydrates 5-10%.
To illustrate as an example of a 65 Kilogram, 30 year old male with reasonable training regiment (twice per week, perceived intensity towards 65% of training failure).
- BMR (In Kilojoules) 48 x 65kg = 3120, 3120 + 3653 = 6773.
- Therefore BMR (in Kcals) is 6773/4.2 = 1612 kcals.
- Then with Activity Multiplier = 1612 X 1.3 = 2095 kcals.
- Then finally with 10% of TEF added = thus giving out hypothetic TDEE maintenance of 2304.5 kcals.
Truth be told and as trivia, the above is still a grossly undermined version off a much more academically taught and comprehensive analysis.
This typically involve an hourly calendar slot “homework” for a client (or in this case; the readers) to fill in a comprehensive 24 hour “metabolic calendar”. Further calculations are also then expected at facilitating a more comprehensive breakdown on where when and how metabolic expenditures event are accounted for. What This Author (AW) clearly remembered was that even during sleep and/or during NEAT / non exercise adaptive thermogenesis state in multiple lifestyle sub-categorical circumstances – be it working or not working – seated or not seated, involving heavy machinery or not, etc ~ everything as such has to be scrutinized.
Obviously such is defenitely not, under the humble opinion of This Author (AW) be pragmatic. Should readers however insist a more likewise comprehensive reflection; they would be advised to look for independent metabolic practitioners and/or “Metabolic Clinics”specializing in not only RMR / BMR calculations, but also possibly other costly investments towards Dexa scans / MRIs, enclosed metabolic chamber testing, and comprehensive nutrigenomics consulting.
#4. Exercise Diligence towards food labelling.
Whilst This Book assumes its readers to have general familiarity and/or basic skill in interpreting components of a nutritional food label on any given food packaging ~ the following suggestive recommendation(s), out of This Author’s (AW) own year(s) of self-surveillance as well as what the fitness industry practitioner typically advocate for their own clientele’ education – are as follows :
- Research and acquaint with industrial additives. This Book is unable to accommodate a database of such with known as well as unknown repercussions as such would be simply an unreadable capacity. It is noteworthy to accept that additives and/or industrial processing is an inevitable necessity. Some However, as readers may expect do commonly raise concerns for their both documented and/or individually reported, often case(s)-by-case basis ~ adverse implications in physiology and psychology:
- Carrageenan, polygeenan, polysorbates-80, carboxymethyllysne (CMC). It is inappropriate for this chapter to explain at length on each of these, however suffice to say that all have been linked in some way or another accross both youth and adults – with adverse mental and physiological effects particularly the gut health.
- For more information and indepth coverage it is essential for readers to consider additional sources beyond This Book, which This Author (AW) has prepared them at the blog under the title Resources & Information Toolkit.
- The more “numbers” listed in its ingredients, the more likely industrial processing and additives used
- Keep in mind that advertising statements no added sugars or no added preservatives usually denote or decoded as a very certain percentage ¬ that is registered below a certain recognisable threshold. In other words, there is marketing protectionism in place to succeed legislative scrutiny. Hence implying that a product do nonetheless contain “some sugar”, and/or “some” preservative ¬ but small enough in concentration that manufacturer standardisation and/or labelling practices often permits them nonetheless, for mass general consumption.
#5. Survey our present reliance on external conveniences.
The next routine is to assess our reliance(s), either habitual or compulsion ~ on external services so that we will progressively becoming more self-prepared in all of foods, meals-preparation from the ground up.
- Take away meals,
- Ready made meals,
- Frequent indulgences.
Irrespective this foundational step is not just to simply “save money”. But the wide(r) implications one can learn, and reflect upon from the ground up :
- Food acquisition routines. Scheduling, and awareness on where, when and how ~ marked down foods and/or goods may be found. An entire chapter on this is later discussed in detail (Nutritional Frugality).
- Conscientious consumption. Particularly marked-down goods that are still nutritionally sound, without contributing to the landfill neglect.
- Assess and facilitate scientific self enquiring and experimentation ~ towards less industrialization(s) and/or processing in our everyday motion(s) of living.
It must be asserted nonetheless the above is understandably, not easy, as readers may have already embedded such routines subconsciously either long enough or far too long. As understandably challenging, all the above is presented and to propose ¬ a realm of contrasts, or circumstancial distinctions against one’s existing motions of monotonous comfort.
The more we take conscious and decisive controlling of our environment, the environment therefore shall in return foster and facilitate our own scientific enquiring, and experimenting for not just the next few days ahead. But for years pending worth of self-authentication, and reflecting.
This Author (AW) has very few, if any “influencers” whom he agree end-to-end. Doctors, practitioners, physiologists, nutritionists, and psychologists included. Irrespective ~ he does not align towards anyone(1) ideas or philosophy. However he remains keen and surveillant towards anything that speaks of philosophic and/or scientific relevance. Chiefly among them ~ Jordan Peterson ~ suggests fittingly towards our goal here in terms of independence. “Before one criticize the world, one must re-organize his/her household.”
As with any first step, is arguably a step that is likely to be endlessly refined each and every time a new circumstance or life event occurs. Track calorie consumption. Survey our existing obligatory systems – both sociological and certainly our living arrangements and environments. Take time to acquaint how food labels are generally followed, and which number or select industrial additives may or may not pose a legitimate concern; should readers own or their direct relative(s) are suspect towards some undisclosed concerns, be it autoimmune or gut health compromises. Above all, having surveyed all of this, what matters next is forming a well informed decision – to nobody else, but readers’ own calculated, conscious and conscientious ~ conviction.
Long and beyond after these beginnings, lies yet another philosophic remark that This Author (AW) would like to share, as something to do with controlling outside influences. When others are loud, stay quiet. When others are unresponsive, observe, analyze, then speak. Whenever questioned, do not respond without taking (quite literally) a second or two of silent introspect.
Whatever the case, control your influences, before they – the influences, control you.
That concludes yet another sneak peek draft chapter! please leave your comments and/or thoughts. Live-it-forward, AW.